A weekly wrap up of all the random things I’ve been enjoying this past week. Things I love, or learned something from, things I think others might enjoy too. I hope you appreciate them as well…and so, here are my weekly top 5 favorite things:
1. Let’s face it, disagreements come up, but how you deal with them determines the fate of the relationship. In catching up on my podcasts while on my derby road trip to Virginia Beach this weekend, I listened to @loswhit chat with @LysaTerKeurst about the biblical way to handle disagreements (here).
2. A few weeks ago, at our away bout, I actually had a false start called on me. And even though I had read the updated rules, I forgot all about this change, and started to skate clock-wise around the track to pass an opponent before rejoining the pack. I was very confused when my bench started yelling at me to stop and go back counter-clock-wise (derby direction) again. After the bout, I asked what happened, and I RE-LEARNED this rule. So, I thought it was funny to see it pop up on Roller Derby Rule Of The Day.
18.104.22.168 If a false-starting skater attemps to cede relative position (by coming to a stop), but no other… http://t.co/8eOcen89tc
— Roller Derby RotD (@RDRotD) July 18, 2014
3. On our way home from Virginia Beach, John and I talked about reining in the budget in preparation for some upcoming changes. One of the things we talked about was getting more creative with cheaper/free date nights. This is my favorite resource for ideas: www.thedatingdivas.com If you’ve never checked out this great website, I’d highly recommend it. This is one John and I did that we really enjoyed.
4. Another podcast I listen to while I’m driving around is the Derby Deeds podcast, and one of their sponsors is the Derby Supply. They have 3 locations right now, Tempe, Virginia Beach and now one in Colorado Springs. So, of course, while we were in Virginia Beach we had to check them out! While the actual store was smaller than I expected, the facility was great! And Cheeky Monkey, was a great help! I ended up with some Notorious R.E.D. gear deodorant….which I’m pretty excited to try out.
5. While our trip to Virginia Beach was not victorious for my team, The Seven City Sirens gave us a great battle, and beat us 204 to 140. It was a pleasure meeting some of the ladies at the After Party, they were so friendly. Plus, I got to introduce my in-laws and friends (about 16) to the world of derby…and they loved it!