A quick wrap up of all the random things I’ve been enjoying recently. Things I’ve loved or learned something from, things I think you might enjoy too. I hope you appreciate them as well…and so, here are my weekly(-ish) top 5 favorite things:
1. Witch Hazel. I have a confession, I am awful with my evening skin-care ritual. I almost never wash my face or take off my mascara. But I’m trying to get better….because….well, I’m getting older. I’m also trying to move towards a slightly more natural – getting back to some basics – care, for me, my family and my home. Witch Hazel is actually a plant that is native to North America, and it’s the leaves and bark that provide the healing goodness.
A while back I snagged a bundle of flannel and cut it into little squares, and have been using them instead of cotton balls to remove my eye makeup. Then, I’ll fold the same square I used to take off my eye makeup and put some Witch Hazel on it, and gently wipe that all over my face. So fast. So easy. Witch Hazel is great for battling acne, shrinks blood vessels (which I’ve noticed on my cheeks more and is why I got it in the first place), soothes itching, and refreshes and rejuvenates skin. I could add in some essential oils for even more benefits, but I just haven’t gotten there yet. You can get a bottle almost anywhere for less than $10 and it lasts a long time, that’s a pretty great deal.
2. Roller Derby. A couple weekends ago I went to cheer on a few of my old teammates who are now a part of a new team called Piedmont Riot, and skate in Gastonia, NC. It was so much fun catching up with those wonderful ladies and some of the fellas. They will always have a special place in my heart. They are so brave and so talented and so kind. And I owe them a lot for helping me see so many different things from a different perspective.
And then last night I went to another bout, a memorial bout for a previous teammate of mine that lost her battle with depression a week ago. It was heartbreaking, and yet encouraging at the same time…it encouraged my heart so much to see so many people from all walks of life and different beliefs come together and support each other as we all grieved and loved on her family.
If you’ve never been to a roller derby bout I would highly encourage you to attend one, they are a lot of fun! And if you are like I was, and have a crazy dream about becoming a roller derby girl…go for it! They will teach you everything you need to know, and welcome you in with open arms, and challenge you in so many good ways. (If you have a “crazy dream” about anything I would strongly encourage you to chase after it! It might be scary, but it’s worth it!)
3. This one is something my son has really been enjoying…see, he has a lovey, it’s not a normal teddy bear or a blanket…but a raccoon. And I’ve just been really enjoying watching him cuddle with it. His Great Aunts and Second Cousin sent it to him for his “adventure theme” nursery, and he has really latched onto it. At first it looked like the raccoon was wrestling Ace, and would usually win – Ace would fall asleep with the raccoon draped over his face. But soon, Ace learned how to kick-out of the pin and now he falls alseep with the raccoon pinned to the bed. So we had to give him a tough WWF wrestler name….and we ended up with Red “The Jackhammer” Raccoon. He loves him so much we got a spare…but it’s just not the same as the special one from my Aunts and Cousin. (Mary Meyer Marshmallow Zoo Raccoon 13″ Plush)
4. IllustratedFaith on Instagram. It’s no secret that I love to draw and be artsy-fartsy. And this account brightens up my Instagram feed and inspires me daily. I need to get back to drawing more…it refreshes my soul.
5. Speaking of refreshing my soul. Within the last few days there has seemed to be a theme in the random podcasts that I listen to….I haven’t completely processed it yet, but I can’t ignore it. I think I need to take some time re-listen to these and take some notes. Then I need to find some time and evaluate and pray, and see what God is leading me towards. But these are so good, I just had to pass them on…
– Optimal Living Daily: 175: A Gentle Warrior’s Manifesto to End Busyness – Part 1 by Courtney Carver of Be More With Less
– Optimal Living Daily: 176: A Gentle Warrior’s Manifesto to End Busyness – Part 2 by Courtney Carver of Be More With Less
– Lead Stories Podcast: 28: Burnout
Those are the things I’ve been enjoying lately. How about you? Show me something you’ve recently come across that you love.