I’m am loving learning about essential oils and all that they can do. Most of the oils can do so many different things it’s mind-blowing…and it reminds me of just how amazing our God is. He thought up and remembers all the details in everything He creates. He gives things a purpose – He gives US a purpose.
I’ve been focused on lemon essential oil the last few days cause there is so much it can do, and I just had to share it with you! Lemon is one of the biggest powerhouses in the essential oil world when it comes to cleaning both your house and your body. It also tastes great in water or baked goods! To show you just how
To show you just how versatile lemon is, I’ve listed 61 uses below. But there’s more, essential oils are a little different than we’re used to in modern medicine or even the cleaning aisle. With essential oils, you can learn ideas and ways to use them, but the best way is to just get in there and start using them. Experiment with what works for you, what smells you like, what needs you have, etc. You’ll be amazed at how much you actually do know when you stop looking for “the right answer” or “single-use solution” (cleaning product or medication for one specific thing) and go with your intuition and just try things. You’ll also be surprised at how much you can simplify your spending, your cleaning cabinets, and your bathroom cabinets.
Did you know: It takes approximately 75 lemons to make one 15ml bottle of Young Living’s Lemon essential oil.
Some basic how to’s:
Application: Dilute 1 part lemon oil to 1 part carrier oil before using topically. Directly inhale. Diffuse.
Precautions: Avoid applying to skin that will be exposed to sun or UV light within 24 hours. Also lemon oil should NOT be used in asthma patients.
- Dish Soap: Dish Soap recipe (I like these glass pump bottles from Amazon.)
- Cleaning Cabinets: lemon mixed with a little olive oil
- Adhesive Remover: 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.
- Grease on Hands: Rub lemon oil on hands to remove grease.
- Wood Polish: Wood Polish recipe
- Air Freshener: Diffuse lemon oil to purify the air. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Ant Spray: Mix 1 cup water with 5 drops lemon oil. Store in stainless steel or glass spray bottle. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Carpet Cleaner: Add lemon oil to baking soda. Sprinkle on carper. Let it set 30 minutes. Vacuum.
- Cleaner (All-Purpose) Recipe: Mix the following ingredients: ½ cup white vinegar, 32 oz water, 10-15 drops lemon oil. Store in stainless steel or glass spray bottle. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Daily Shower Spray: Mix the following ingredients: ¼ cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, ½ cup rubbing alcohol, 1 tsp dawn dish soap, 15 drops tea tree, 15 drops lemon. Store in a stainless steel or glass spray bottle. You can add lavender to neutralize vinegar smell. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Disinfectant: Fill stainless steel or glass spray bottle with water. Add lemon oil. Be sure to shake it up before each use. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Dish Rag: Disinfect dish rag by soaking it in water with a few drops of lemon oil.
- Dish Washer: Add 3 drops of lemon oil to dishwasher for spot free dishes.
- Floors: Remove scuff marks by scrubbing lemon oil on them.
- Grease Stains on Clothes: Mix lemon oil with castile soap. Let set on stain before scrubbing out. (I like these glass pump bottles from Amazon.)
- Hand Sanitizer: Rub 1 drop lemon oil on hands. Or add a few drops of lemon oil to aloe vera gel and store in a squeezable container. (I like these glass pump bottles from Amazon.)
- Jewelry Cleaner: Soak cloth in water with lemon oil. Use cloth to clean jewelry.
- Laundry: Refresh laundry left in washer by rinsing with few drops lemon oil.
- Leather Conditioner: Wipe leather with a cloth soaked in water and lemon oil.
- Plants: Kill aphids and larvae by spaying a water and lemon oil mixture on plants. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Soft Scrub Recipe: Mix the following ingredients: 2 TBS baking soda, 1-2TBS water (enough to make paste), 3 drops lemon oil.
- Stainless Steal Polish: Use lemon water-soaked cloth to clean appliances.
- Walls: Remove crayon, marker, dry erase markers by rubbing on stain.
- Wood Polish: Add lemon oil to olive oil to polish furniture.
- Veggie and Fruit Bath: Fill sink with water. Add 5 drops lemon oil. Let soak 10 minutes.
- Garbage Disposal: put a drop or two on a couple ice cubes and drop them in your disposal and run for a few seconds to freshen.
- Room Spray: 30 drops of essential oil, 3 oz rubbing alcohol, 1.5 cups distilled water, and a glass spray bottle. (I like these glass spray bottles from Amazon.)
- Polish Silver: add a few drops to a cloth and polish any tarnish off.
- Stainless Steel cleaner: have too many finger prints on that beautiful new kitchen appliance? Add a few to a cloth and wipe them away, free of toxins and without purchasing an additional cleaning spray bottle for under your sink.
- Counter Tops: Clean your granite or porous stone counter tops
- Allergies: Dab lemon oil behind ear and under nose. It is more effective if combined with peppermint and lavender.
- Callous: Massage lemon oil on callous to soften skin.
- Cold Sores: Dab lemon oil on cold sore. Use coconut oil and lemon to make a balm.
- Colds, Cough, Respiratory Illness: Diffuse lemon oil.
- Cough Drop Recipe: Head on over to Mama’s Essential Oil Cabinet for this recipe.
- Digestion: Improve digestion by adding 2-3 drops of lemon to a glass of water.
- Dental Health: Add to toothpaste for fresh breath.
- Detox: Add 2 drop of lemon oil to a glass of water and consume. The lemon oil alkalizes water.
- Ear Infection: Dab lemon oil outside the ear. Do NOT put the oil into the ear.
- Energy: Put 1 drop of peppermint oil and 1 drop of lemon oil in a glass of water. Drink.
- Gum in Hair: Rub lemon oil in hair to remove gum.
- Heartburn: Put 2 drops of lemon in glass of water. Drink.
- Nail Fungus: Put on nails to help fight fungus.
- Sore Throat: Add 5-10 drops of lemon and / or tea tree oil to 2 TBS carrier oil. Rub on neck, chest, and behind ears.
- Mouthwash: Mix 4 oz water with 2 drops of lemon oil.
- Vapor Rub Recipe (Adult Recipe): Mix equal parts lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint oil in coconut oil. Rub on chest.
- Weight Loss assistance:Add 2 drops of lemon to glass of water. Drink 2-3 times daily.
- Brighten Skin: Add 2 drops lemon to face wash.
- Deodorant Recipe: Mix the following ingredients: 4 TBS coconut oil, 2 TBS baking soda, 2 TBS arrowroot, 5-10 drops lemon oil. Store in empty deodorant container.
- Face Wash Recipe: Mix baking soda, honey and lemon oil.
- Highlights: Comb into selections of hair. Sit in the sun. Check hair often since lemon oil will lighten hair quickly. Wash out.
- Nails: Rub lemon oil onto nails to promote strong, healthy nails.
- Pores: See Toner Recipe. Or dilute lemon oil in water and rub on face.
- Tooth Paste Recipe: Visit Wellness Mama for a great toothpaste recipe.
- Toner Recipe: 1 ½ cup distilled water, ½ TBS lemon juice, 2 drops lemon oil
- Varicose Veins: Rub diluted on problematic areas.
- Create custom vinaigrettes or marinades to add a citrus zing to grilled veggies and meats.
- Add a drop or two to plain or vanilla yogurt; then top with fresh berries for a breakfast with a kick!
- Anxiety: a little bit behind your ears and on your wrists can help calm anxiety.
- Sugar Scrub to brighten your skin: 3/4C sugar, 1/4C olive oil, 1t vanilla, 10 drops lemon.
- Super study powers! Diffuse with peppermint while studying to help you stay awake and focused.
BONUS: Here is one of my favorite roller-ball recipes that has really been helpful for me during the last few months when everything is blooming: mix 10 drops lavender, 10 drops peppermint, and 10 drops lemon and top off with a carrier oil in a roller-ball. Rub on feet, neck, forehead. (I like these roller ball bottles from Amazon.)
If you would like to order some lemon, I’d be happy to help you! You can email me, or you can click here to get started with a wholesale account through Young Living to help you save the most money. Signing up for a wholesale account does not mean you have to sell anything – however, you can easily pay for your Starter Kit by simply sharing your love for your oils with 4 friends who also purchase a kit!
Disclosure: I am NOT providing medical advice. Always consult your physician for medical treatment. The advice shared on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA. The products and methods recommended are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease, nor is it intended to replace proper medical help.